- Go to lastest CIO News
Chief Security Officer CSO crisis managment skills
eJobDescription.com website is the HR for Information Technology management
Skills the CISO and CSO need to have
Skills needed are:
- Ability to work through the turmoil - a trait most CSOs and CISOs already have. Cybersecurity pros are typically chaos junkies because every day is something new.
- Ability to formulate a strong forward-looking security strategy, articulate it and then advocate for it - CSOs and CISOs need to be willing to challenge the other executives, they can not throw Band-Aids on problems and get the job done.
- Ability to evaluate staff skills - CSOs and CISOs must also be skilled at quickly assessing skills and bring together those with the needed capabilities, a high level of commitment, and a willingness to speak up. They need people who will challenge traditional approaches. So CSOs need to have team members who will challenge them, and the individual needs to be secure enough to deal in that environment.
The primary objectives of the enterprise information security effort and the Chief Security Officer (CSO) are:
- Ensuring the confidentiality of sensitive information processed by, stored
in, and moved through information systems and applications belonging to the
enterprise. Examples of sensitive information processed by enterprise include
personally identifiable information and other Privacy Act protected records;
pre-release economic statistics; information provided by companies and
individuals under the assumption of confidentiality; and pre-award contract
- Ensuring the integrity of the enterprise information such that decisions
and actions taken based upon the data processed by, stored in, and moved
through enterprise information systems can be made with the assurance that the
information has not been manipulated, the information is not subject to
repudiation, the source of the changes to information can be determined as
best as possible.
- Ensuring the availability of the enterprise information systems and applications during routine operations and in crisis situations to support the enterprise Mission.
High Unemployment States
7 States have unemployment rates 8% or greater
Highest unemployment states are those that had an overall unemployment rate of 8% or higher. In January 8 states had the highest unemployment rates (8.0% or higher) - an improvement from August which had 10 states with unemployment over 10%. The highest unemployment rates in January were Hawaii - 10.1%); California - 9.0%; New York - 8.8%; New Mexico - 8.6%; District of Columbia - 8.4%; Connecticut - 8.1%; and Nevada - 8.1%. In those 8 states, only 1 (Bew Mexico) had a higher unemployment rate than the prior month.
IT Job Market to grow 3 times faster than US job market
Forecast - Ten Year Growth of Jobs for IT Pros
Computer occupations as a group are projected to grow about 3 times as fast (11.5% - 531,200 jobs) as the rest of the job market between 2019 and 2029. Three computer occupations (Information Security Analyst 32.2%, Sofware Developers, Quality Assurance Analysts 21.5%, and Testers 15.4%) all poised to grow at rates above 15.0 percent over the next 10 years.
The latest BLS forecast is for a loss of over 20,100 jobs (-9.4%) for computer programmers. Janco agrees that due to AI and automation of the programming function pressure will result in less demand for computer programmers. However, the firm does not necessarily agree there will be a loss in the total number of computer programming jobs.more info
IT Job Maket will improve significantly
IT job market prospects are tied to the US national employment data
As more people go back to work, the IT job market will begin to improve significantly.
There are 13 companines that are currently have openings for over 25,000 positions. There are:
- Instacart looking to hire 300,000 contract workers over the next three months.
- McDonald's hiring about 260,000 people this summer.
- Amazon hiring more than 100,000 people.
- UPS hiring more than 100,000 people for open positions.
- Albertsons Companies hiring 50,000 people across their companies for open roles.
- CVS Health hiring 50,000 employees to serve in various capacities across its business.
- Walmart hiring 50,000 workers for its distribution and fulfillment centers.
- FedEx hiring 35,000 people for essential roles.
- Allied Universal hiring more than 30,000 people for open positions.
- Taco Bell hiring 30,000 people to work at its restaurants.
- Ace Hardware hiring 30,000 people to work in its stores nationwide.
- Lowe's hiring 30,000 employees to meet the demand created by the coronavirus.
- Dollar Tree, which is also the parent company of Family Dollar, hiring
25,000 workers for its stores and distribution centers.
Walgreens hiring 25,000 employees for permanent and temporary roles.
Employment Picture Improves
Covid Kills US Labor Market but it is recovering
COVID-19 shut began its impact on the overall unemployment rate with jump up 0.9% to 4.4% and a loss of over 700,000 jobs at the start of the shutdown. Then in April the unemployment rate skyrocketed to to 14.7% only to drop to 13.3%.
Between California and New York alone almost 3 million jobs were lost.more info
IT salaries - flat
Salaries are flat and and hiring new employees is non-existent due to shutdowns
116,000 IT professionals were laid-off or terminated in April and May due to the Covid-19 shut-down. In June, the loss of IT jobs was halted. Hiring is expected to resume in the late 3rd quarter of this year Salaries are expected to increase at that point.
2020 H-1B visa applicants not impacted by Presidential Declaration
Current H-1B visa applicants not impacted by Presidential Declaration
Comppanies in the US can employ foreign workers on H-1B visas only if they can demonstrate to the U.S. Department of Labor by filing a Labor Condition Application (LCA) that they cannot find U.S. workers with the necessary skills. DOL certified around 468,000 LCAs relating to new, existing, or transferred H-1B visas in 2019. In 2019, 188,123 three-year visas were issued or renewed, while the number of new H1-B visas remained capped at 65,000.
This executive order stops the Department of State from issuing certain new work visas to enter the U.S., but it does not cancel or affect the status of foreign workers already in the United States. That means recipients of this years H-1B lottery already in the U.S. are in the clear: Their H-1B status will still take effect on Oct. 1 as they will not need to travel abroad to obtain a visa.more info
Hiring Trends Moving Average Falls Dramatically
Growth of IT Job Market Impacted Dramatically by Covid-19 Shutdown
The moving average of the number of new IT job created (lost) cascaded to an all-time low in April and May due to the shutdown. The fall shows the impact on IT professionals job prospects.
Covid-19 Drives Unemployment Rate to 14.9%
Covid Kills US Labor Market
COVID-19 shut began its impact on the overall unemployment rate with jump up 0.9% to 4.4% and a loss of over 700,000 jobs at the start of the shutdown. Then in April the unemployment rate skyrocketed to to 14.7%
Top 10 Resume Mistakes - Best Practices to follow
Top 10 Best Practices for Resumes
- Keep the resume short- 2 pages or less.
- Design for best first impression
- Structure resume in outline format - Bullets, limited bold text, and a summary at the top are key directions to take.
- Spell Check
- Resume grammaticly correct - Do not user complex sentences and avoid starting with prepositions.
- Resume shouldt agree with your "social profile"
- Do not include a photo - Do not include anything that shows your age, race, or appearance.
- Resume should be 100% accurate
- Customizse resume - A at least have a custom cover letter that address the "specific" job or company that you are sending the resume to.
- Follow up